Around the house
I like creating cozy homes. And moving around has forced me to give up the crap and keep only the truly good stuff. I love our new place in Watertown. It’s filled with our treasures and each weekend I love… just being here! Surrounded by memories and artful inspiration. Here’s a peek at some of my favorite pieces and their origins.
1) Metal picture – Anga’s mom’s house in GISENYI, RWANDA 2) Candle holder – Murano Island, VENICE, ITALY 3) Sugar bowl – handmade by the Streshley family in KINSHASA, DRC 4) Coffee beans – grown and roasted on Anga’s dad’s plantation in NORTH KIVU, DRC
1) UVA/WASHINGTON D.C. sights 2) Postcard from KAMPALA, UGANDA 3) Rowhouses from BROOKLYN, NY 4) (Center) by a Syrian artist, purchased in ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA
From a market in AMMAN, JORDAN. (I was there visiting a fellow Abracadabra Preschool alum/sister of my college rugby teammate!)
ALASKA! Where Peesta and I adventured around and I fell in love with the art and illustrations of Barbara Levalee. Peesta got this for me. I just love the personalized message. “Here’s to discovering new dances wherever your travels take you!” The dancing ladies remind me of all the times raising a ruckus with my rugby pals in college.
Basket from RWANDA
These two paintings are so, so special. Painted by my mom in ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA. 1) Anga’s Aunt’s house in KABUYE, DRC 2) NYIRAGONGO VOLCANO, DRC
From my Aunt Lizzy’s house in CLEVELAND, OHIO. I love the colors, but I especially love the wild woman playing the violin- just like my Aunt Lizzy.
From WEST AFRICA. Purchased in BRUSSELS, BELGIUM.
1) Blanket made by my mom in ALEXANDRIA, VA 2) Conical basket – RWANDA 3) Coaster – ISTANBUL, TURKEY
1) Fish plate & alabaster candle holder – CAIRO, EGYPT 2) Wooden carved candle holder – GERMANY 3) Kuba Cloth – KINSHASA, DRC 4) Wooden Cabinet – BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
A gift to Anga from Vic. Made in DRC?
Pillows from ISTANBUL, TURKEY
Purchased in EPERNAY, FRANCE. Imbibed upon our engagement. Box now holds precious Christmas ornaments.
My favorite ornament! Fabrics from DRC, handmade by my mom in ALEXANDRIA.
Teke Mask. GOMA, DRC.
Coffee table – from Mala India in Waterloo, Belgium.
Tablecloth – KINSHASA, DRC
1) Beer coasters – BELGIUM 2) Bowl – ZANZIBAR